World Series Virtual Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange problem.

4 posters

Go down

Strange problem. Empty Strange problem.

Post  Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:21 am

After a few CTD and graphical errors with the BTCC mod which i could not fix, i decided to remove everything to do with rFactor and do a complete reinstall from disk, bought the game up to 1255 and ran it for the first time, normally you have to create your profile before you can do anything with a fresh install but for some reason my race name was already in the game as the selected profile(the only profile in there), even stranger was when i closed the game and went into the UserData folder all that was in there was the Controller, LOG and Screenshots folders, no user folder at all.
I even tried deleting the UserData folder altogether thinking it may clear my name from the profile but my name was still there when i ran the game again

I then created a new profile with a different name and went into a race but after closing the game no folder for that name appeared in the userdata folder,this seems strange and i thought it may be a file somewhere it shouldn't be causing the crashing issue i have been having.

Where else would the game get my name from to have it already selected as the current profile in a brand new clean install?

Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

Strange problem. Empty Re: Strange problem.

Post  Chris English Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:34 am

Can't remember for certain but it might get it from your Windows username?

Do any other games CTD? Or any other mods?

Might be worth running a Burn In Test on your computer (runs your PC components to 100%) and see if you have any problems with that. If that crashes or comes up with an error too then it's most likely going to be something inside your computer - I'd suspect memory.

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 pm

I will try that, here is the graphical issue.

Strange problem. Pic410

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris English Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Looks like your graphics card is struggling to load textures - what card do you have? And is it the same with just you on track?

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Yes it happens in testing session too, no other mods seem affected and for that matter no other games seem to have any issues, in fact i ran this mod with no issues for a week untill 2 days ago, i will have to carry out some more tests to see if it just this mod, it only started 2 days ago after a sudden crash and since then the graphics will be ok sometimes then messed up the next, it crashes everytime but only during a race not practice or qualy.

I have just ran that program you suggested and it came up no errors.

I have a quad core i5 2500k cpu, 8Gb of ram and a radeon 6950 2Gb card.

I have never had this issue before and i am now pulling my hair out as i just cant fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Mead Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

HI neil, think u will find if u turn ur gfx texture to DX9 in the rfactor gfx config and also turn ur txtures up to full in rfactor itself. Had that same problem before.
Alan Mead
Alan Mead
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am

I have done a complete re-install of windows and it seems the graphical problem has dissapeared, the user profile problem had something to do with installing game into C:\program Files(x86) and running the game sometimes as admin and sometimes not which i sometimes do, depending on whether you use admin rights or not a folder is created in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore and the user profile is created there and not in the game directory, never knew that VirtualStore folder existed until today, however, having eliminated those 2 issues i am still getting a CTD everytime i run the game, i can go into practice, qualy, and warm up with no problems but as soon as the race starts and normally going into turn 1 the game crashes and it does not seem to be track specific.

I am at my wits end with this and am at a loss as to what is causing it, any help or advice will be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Pitschmann Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 am

Which Windows do you use? 7, Vista? Maybe try to start in compatibility modus for other win versions.
Have you tried to install your rfactor to another folder like C:\program Files(x86)?
You have the problem only in the races, do you have it in testing sessions with other cars on the track?
If you start a singleplayer race youre the host (like a server) for that race. Have you tried if you have the same problem on a server where you are only the client?
Michael Pitschmann
Michael Pitschmann
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

http://www.team-firestorm.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks for reply michael, i am trying to do some extensive testing using some of your suggestions, i run windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, i will try different install location and run the game in all modes to see if i can eliminate things one by one.

BTW, would you recommend 1255 lite or full install?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:17 am

OK now i am really confused, look what happens when i try to run the rFactor exe, what the heck would cause this.

Strange problem. Screen10

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Pitschmann Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:32 am

strange, havnt seen this before. But what I see: I have a Logitech Wheel too (Driving Force GT) but I doenst use the profiler for rfactor, I think I havnt started it for a long time. Try how it works without it.
And also disable your firewall and antivir to check if thats the reason.

Im using:
Win 7 Ultimate 64
CPU: i7 920
RAM: 12 GB
Graphic: Geforce 285 GTX with 896 mb RAM
rFactor Lite 1255

I remember that i had thoose graphic issues sometimes long ago on some mods, after I set up all graphic settings to high I hadnt any problems since that time.

And also have a look what happen if you change resolutions.
Michael Pitschmann
Michael Pitschmann
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Mead Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi neil,just a thought that maybe rfactor trying to access the ISI website because of reinstall of rfactor.
Never had that before but just a thought.
U could try 3RD party program like game booster to turn of services not needed for running game.
I am running Win7 64bit with a logitech wheel and had not problems at all. Might be a oncoming hardware problem arising.
just remembered this. One way to track down the source of CTDs for games is to run them in windowed-mode. Windows Vista has a feature that can help track down the cause of a CTD problem when it occurs on any program.
It may be the same for Win7, have never tried it before but might be worth a bash.
Have u also tried the latest catalyst drivers for ur gfx card, if so try some older ones as this sometimes helps.
good luck Alan

Last edited by Alan Mead on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan Mead
Alan Mead
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris English Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm thinking with crashing it could well be a memory issue. Try and download Memtest and burn it to a CD, keep the CD in your drive and reboot so it runs on start-up (in a blue screen), let it do 2 passes through your memory to make sure it's alright.

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Mead Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Chris English wrote:I'm thinking with crashing it could well be a memory issue. Try and download Memtest and burn it to a CD, keep the CD in your drive and reboot so it runs on start-up (in a blue screen), let it do 2 passes through your memory to make sure it's alright.

Could be a memory overflow or location ad problem. Have seen patches in the past for other mods to rectify this problem. May be one about for the BTCC.
Do's neil state in practice ,warm up and qualy if just him on track, if so and when in the race with other cars most probably a mem overflow problem.
Alan Mead
Alan Mead
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:08 am

Thanks for all help guys, i will let you know how i get on in a day or two when i have had chance to test all options out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Pitschmann Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:58 am

Another idea: disable the replay function. maybe your system has a problem with creating the file with all vehicles on the track.
Michael Pitschmann
Michael Pitschmann
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Lewis Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 am

I too get occasional CTD's when running the mod off-line with full grids. I'm guessing there's a rouge car model in there or PC cant handle that many different vehicle types.

Oddly not an issue so far on-line or when car numbers are reduced.

That it doesn't happen to everyone suggests system is a big factor but if there is something in the mod that needs fixing once identified, we'll patch as best we can.
Matt Lewis
Matt Lewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Thnaks matt, i did have 2 win7 installs on 2 drives so maybe there was some conflict somewhere or some corrupt file, so i formatted both drives and started afresh, so far all seems back to normal and i tested all tracks with no ctd's and no graphical issues. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Pitschmann Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 pm

nice. Hope to meet you next week on the track (hopefully in my mirror Very Happy ).
Michael Pitschmann
Michael Pitschmann
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down