World Series Virtual Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Gen sim platform

5 posters

Go down

Next Gen sim platform Empty Next Gen sim platform

Post  Matt Lewis Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Here's an interesting visual comparison between the three titles in development that look set to replace Rfactor.

Screenshots are unedited in game shots from the developers web pages. Rfactor 2 top, Simbin GTR3 middle and Assetto Corsa bottom.

Next Gen sim platform Untitled-1-4
Matt Lewis
Matt Lewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Next Gen sim platform Empty Re: Next Gen sim platform

Post  Chris English Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I think it's between rFactor 2 and Asetto Corsa.

For me it has to be rF2 - I'm loving the open beta at the minute and once modders get their hands on it properly and quality mods get released there will be no beating it. Feels3 has shown what rF2 is capable of visually by doing Croft, the physics of all the cars that ISI have released are pretty much spot on - the force feedback is also bang on.

AC has the looks, and Kunos knows what he's doing when it comes to handling (see nKPro), but if it's released after the final version of rF2 it'll be hard for it to catch up. Plus Kunos does have previous of running away with everybody's money (after nkPro release) which does slightly put me off. Although credit to him, he did eventually fix it after almost 2 years, and AC does look awesome.

I think GTR3 will be good, but I think SimBin have waited too long. Their last major release was RACE07 going back 5 years ago - they've tried to keep it fresh with addons, but they didn't disguise a very old physics engine. If the new Lizard engine does what they say it will (the RACE game on Xbox using Lizard was mostly terrible, mind), then maybe SimBin can pull it off, but I'm not hopeful for them unfortunately - Have played everything they've put out since they were a modding team for F1 Challenge! Even then, the SimBin now is very different from the SimBin back then - I don't even think they have any of the same people left!

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Lewis Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Yep AC has the looks.. few too many road cars in it for my liking at the minute though, not enough race stuff.

First impressions of Rf2 were not that great but the clio's and croft track are changing my opinion greatly.
Matt Lewis
Matt Lewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris English Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 pm

The one thing you need to remember with rF2 is when you first load a track it's very 'green'. If I'm on single player, I'll stick 10-15 AI on for 20 minutes before I do any laps - helps rubber up the track nicely, then the grip is there. Smile

Usually when I play online I'm on the ISR Clio server (one running all tracks).

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Pitschmann Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Well, there are some really good racing sims under process, but you might forget one:
Project Cars by Slightly Mad Studios
Developed with the community and the full release version get modding support too.

Screenshots from Community Gallery (real ingame graphic, not reworked with photoshop)

Next Gen sim platform 0063

Next Gen sim platform 0122

Next Gen sim platform 046

Next Gen sim platform 008

Next Gen sim platform 0523

Next Gen sim platform 0222

Next Gen sim platform 0322
Michael Pitschmann
Michael Pitschmann
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

http://www.team-firestorm.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Spooner Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 pm

For me, rFactor 2 has over complicated the modding so I have been putten off it. For me I think project cars is the future. They just need to work on the caterham physics because they have almost no grip.
Max Spooner
Max Spooner
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

http://www.quatermassmotorsport.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Lewis Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Jury is still out. Project cars does look fantastic but not clear how it will be for custom mods. At the minute it looks most likely that Rfactor 2 still supports the ability to replicate a full BTCC season best.
Matt Lewis
Matt Lewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Next Gen sim platform Empty Next Gen sim platform

Post  Alan Mead Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Well for me, don't know which one to choose. They all seem very good and nice eye candy.
But at the moment are all still in the testing stages even though u can buy rF2 and Project cars.
I have project cars and yes it is pleasing to the eye,but still a few teething problems to sort.
So at the moment i will be waiting for a final release product.
Alan Mead
Alan Mead
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris English Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I have pCARS, but much prefer rF2 for handling. I'm not bothered about eye candy, much prefer authentic handling with pCARS currently doesn't have.

My biggest worry is with all these sims coming with the eye candy is that they'll split the community for those on high end PCs (DX11 graphics cards etc...) who can play anything and those on mid-low end who can play rF2 and that's about it.

rF2's biggest plus point is that it'll run on anything that can run rF1 to around medium details which pretty much everybody will have these days.

Also the modding with rF2 takes some getting used to - and the system as stated by ISI isn't finished at all yet. Give it time, I think eventually it'll work as intended. My only disappointment is it's still in the beta period after 11 months when it was originally projected for 6 months. But at least they're taking their time and fixing it, an open beta is a much better way of doing that than a closed beta too.

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Lewis Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Anybody else tried demo's or beta versions lately?

Rfactor 2 beta seems to be coming along nicely and graphics are getting much better.

Project cars continues to look fantastic but I cant warm to the overall package at the minute. Still lacks a sense of involvement to me.

Also tried the Raceroom 3 Beta which should be very close to GTR3. Again very good and nice but hard to separate from Rfactor2 at the minute.

Just need an Asseto Corsa demo now Very Happy
Matt Lewis
Matt Lewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris English Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 pm

rF2 keeps improving with each build - I do find it difficult to go back to rF1 after playing rF2 for an extended time, rF2 just feels so much better compared to rF1.

pCARS has really been making me grin lately. The sounds, the 'feel' of being right in the cockpit is immense. The Focus RS and Megane are pretty good fun to drive, the Zonda R is scary! But it does lack pure handling, cars feel too similar to me. Hopefully they can improve the handling to match rF2.

I tried RaceRoom but just got really confused by the menus. The car handling didn't feel that great either. Really quite disappointed at SimBin's offering this time around.

And yes, as you said, just waiting on AC now.

Chris English
Racing Legend
Racing Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum